Pages

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Home Sweet Home

   Thomas Wolfe said, "You can't go home again." Well, you can, but it just isn't the way you remembered it.
My recollection of the city closest to my home growing up appeared much larger and more bustling than it is today. In many ways, it has remained the same as I recall it thirty years ago--the same folks, just a little wider in the beam and more gray of hair, the streets still very much the same.

   The family restaurant on the main drag still has the best cream pies in town and the motel next door those tacky turquoise, yellow, and orange pool chairs that should have disappeared thirty years ago. The waitresses still have the pouffy shags that were in style in the eighties.

   What has changed are my emotions as I enter the town. No longer do I wish desperately to escape it; now it just evokes a sweet sort of nostalgia.

  Do I want to go home again? No, definitely not--but it is a great place to visit!

No comments: