Pages

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

It's Just a Piece of Jewellery

So there we are, all having breakfast together, and my stepson is staring intently at his dad's finger. Curious, I wonder what is capturing his attention.

"I like your ring, pal. Can I have it?" Hubby laughs and explains that the gold ring on his left ring finger is a wedding ring, and that only people who are married wear one.

Sonny looks very disappointed, and can't seem to grasp why it is that he can't wear a gold ring too, so hubby goes on to say that gold is very precious and expensive. It would cost a lot to buy that ring, he says.

"How much? A hundred dollars?"

"Oh yes, a hundred dollars and even more than that!"

I can no longer contain myself. "Maybe I could give you a ring, Sonny." His eyes light up and I can tell that he is barely holding in his excitement. Looking sideways at me, hubby screws up his eyebrows to tell me that he is not sure that would be such a good idea.

"Just wait a minute, and I'll be back", I say, dashing upstairs and returning with a simple gold band. It is definitely a man's ring, so hubby is shooting me suspicious looks.

"Let me tell you a story", I say. "Almost fifteen years ago, I was on a business trip, staying at a budget motel. It was winter and several inches of snow had fallen on the rental car I had parked at the back of the motel. As usual, after a long day and evening of intense work, and an early morning, my eyes were heavy and glued to the ground, or else I would not have seen what I did. There, just between my car and the one next to it, was an object that glinted metallically. I stooped down to get a better view and realized that it was a gold ring. Not just any gold ring, but a man's wedding band... How could a man have lost his wedding ring behind a motel? Perhaps the ring was too large for his finger, or else he had put it in his pocket for safekeeping and it had slipped out.
Or perhaps not..."

"So you see, Sonny, you are welcome to this ring. I have no attachment to it, nor does anyone else."

"It's just a piece of jewellery."

No comments: